Thursday, January 17, 2013

Interlude 13: Tango

Last week was my one of my close friends' birthday, and so i decided to take her out to something I'd been wanting to see for a while: a tango show.

A medium length google search ensued, and finally I settled upon Tango Porteño. This is because it looked to me that the show was going to be about porteño (a nickname for a resident of Buenos Aires) life, and that that should be interesting.


In general, my investigations revealed, in some districts of the city such as San Telmo on a sunday you can go and watch large gatherings of people improvising tango - these are called Milongas, and are free (if a little...ahem...elderly)
                                        .


Well, back to the show - it was excellent. Normally, my perfect idea of 90 minutes (the length of the show) is watching football either at the ground or on TV - but this was a great (if perhaps infrequent) substitute. Whilst the words in spanish are difficult to make out to a non-native speaker (my friend told me the lyrics were about everyone cheating on one another), the dancing and lighting looked very modern and skilled. Unfortunately I can't really give deep analysis into the meanings behind the specific routines - the people sitting near us were talking about the emotion of the dance in tandem with the rythmn of the music - but as a night out it is essentially a must if you plan to visit Buenos Aires, the home of tango.
Birthday girl




A dark shot of one of the ´figuras´



No comments:

Post a Comment