Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Episode 22: One month...left!




Jibberish. Or that's what it felt like everyone was speaking for the first few days until I started to get used to their unique dialect of spanish (here, castellano).

Immerse. It's easy to pick and choose the people you speak to as those who are fluent in the same language, but you really need to do what you came to do and learn! Oh, and you will probably make more mistakes than an Argentinian taking a driving test, but that's the best way to learn.

Nostalgia time. Coming up to 6 months ago I arrived in BA having studied spanish for years, but much like JD after med school it was impossible at first.

Now? Well, you'll never catch me saying I'm 100% fluent because I'm not - but its gotten a lot better. And with that, life has got more relaxed, more settled and more enjoyable. The taxi drivers no longer ask me where I'm from. Shop keepers no longer think to charge the tourist price. "se convertió en argentino" a friend said about me last week, when i told him "che basta, me chupa un huuuevo" about some rubbish he he was saying - i.e. shut up, I don't give a ****. And finally, instead of people asking me when I got here/when am I leaving, they ask are you moving here permanently.

Its easier just to say no, citing the socioeconomics. Why? The only thing i can say is that its home from home, but its not home.



Next up: 5 best ways to learn a language.
                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment