Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Episode 11: The Deep South


In England, I rarely end up looking at a map of the world because I don't have a poster (or something similar) on my wall. Out here, for some reason, my shower curtain is a giant map so I end up inspecting it more often. Did you know that the world´s only 'carbon sink' country is Butan?

Anyway, back to the point - this week I am down in the south of Argentina on business. Buenos Aires is about 3 hours north (by plane), and is roughly level with South Africa and Australia. At the moment I'm in a place called Comodoro Rivadavia (not something you want to pronounce after drinking). As far as the above map goes, it´s on the coast to the right of the capital A of Argentina, and I guess it must be one of the most southernmost cities in the entire world. So south, in fact, that back in the day when they thought the world was flat you would have assumed you´d just fallen off.



It's basically the desert - which is odd because its also right next to the sea. So on the one hand I wake up and see the comically enormous sand dune dwarfing over the town (with not much grass/vegetation to be seen), and on the other I walk out the hotel only to have everyting blown away by the wind (it's known as la cuidad del viento, the city of the wind) whilst scrambling for my jumper and sunglasses at the same time because it's both blindingly sunny and freezing:


Exaggeration aside, as always, it's all fun and games.

Episode 12: hand gestures

No comments:

Post a Comment