Friday, November 9, 2012

Interlude 5: Protest

Last night I witnessed the most amazing thing since touching down in Buenos Aires - I'm going to give a brief background to the 8th November protests, and then let my pictures speak for themselves:

8N, as it has been referred to on posters throughout the city, had been in everyones calenders for a long time. It was a protest of those opposed to the goverment, which actually turns out to be a very large number of people from all backgrounds. Mostly, it is based on economic woes (some of which I have already posted about here) but also corruption and inequality - and a main talking point was to limit the President Cristina Kirchner to only 2 terms (she's half way through her second). As i was walking to the meeting point I'd agreed with some friends, I heard lots of banging noises and I thought my headphones were on the way out;  turns out people had brought literally anything to make noise - pots, cutlery, drums, bottles, coins - anything. And what of the eldery people who didnt want to get crushed by the crowd? they were spurring everyone on from the balconies, smashing their pots and pans or making noise with megaphones, big speakers or horns.

I really have never seen so many people in one place - the papers this morning say that a monumental 700,000 people converged on the obelisk in the city centre. The noise was incredible, you could barely hear yourself think - these people feel so agreived about their government and the emotion was palpable. Anyway, enough talking - here's what happened (OK, I didnt take the first one):











No comments:

Post a Comment