Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Episode 13: Graffiti & Street Art


I guess the concept of writing on walls isn´t really a new one - when you think about it, it goes all the way back to the cavemen. Here in BA is huge and thus, equipped with some better tools, expensive paint and more excessive fines than our ancestors - lets see what Argentina's answer to Banksy is...
                          Graffiti and street art tours in Buenos Aires


graffitimundo run tours of street art and graffiti in buenos aires

















What I will say is that I don't know much about graffiti - but it seems here that either its legal or the police turn a total blind eye. It's hard to give an impression about something so big here but that I don't know much about and so, like a most visitors to an art gallery, I can only extrapolate my own meaning for these works  - to me they seem extremely colourful, vibrant and more widespread than Man United supporters in London (i.e for the non football fans, very common). That said, sometimes the meaning is obvious:
Carlos Tevez - ' hyes it was bery dipicul'
In fact it's so popular here that a number of websites/ tours have been set up - on one of the bank holidays I'll be sure to check one of them out. If it weren't for those then I wouldn't get out the office much - did you know every out here gets only 14 days of paid holiday a year!

Finally, I'm not sure I would officially encourage the painting in general being done without permission, but at the risk of being a killjoy I might add that if I woke up to such a piece of art on MY wall one morning, I would be thrilled! It would be all the more impressive anyway - because I live on the third floor...

                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment