Saturday, December 8, 2012

Interlude 10: Flood

Well, after Thursday afternoon, I think I've seen it all. You see, the climate here is tropical - a forecasted week full of sun interspersed with one day of thunder.

Thursday was also the day of the pesticide explosion in the city (see first part of previous post here), and it gave me a massive headache - and with the big end of year party that evening, i left the office half an hour early to try and sleep it off. That was the plan anyway. As soon as i got to the subway station and saw it was closed, everything began to fall apart:



So, the subway network was closed. Never good, because all the people who normally take it need to find other ways to get home. At this point, because I'm not sat near a window in the office and didnt realise how much it had been raining, I didnt know what i was in for. Anyway, so i went to the bus stop and saw lots of traffic -  but nevertheless stood in the rain and waited for a bus. When it came, it was already full and just trundled agonisingly past without stopping. After half an hour waiting, I gave up (which was hard to do given the queue of 100 or so people behind me for the bus!) and went to look for a taxi.

Except I couldnt quite do that yet, because I needed to take out cash. So i went to a bank - to find the machine out of order. Great, it's not my lucky day. So i went to another one...and another one. I ended up going to 12 banks before concluding that the banks were...well...broken! I still haven't found out why/how/if the storm had anything to do with it! (please let me know if you can think of a reason!). So, I couldn't get a taxi (not that i saw a free one anyway), a train or a bus. Thus, in the pouring rain, I trudged home from the city centre for 2 hours with my work laptop (still haven't checked if its working...), my little umbrella and a face full of water for company. Think I'm exaggerating? Think again:



Yes, that is a man windsurfing on the main road two blocks from my house.

p.s. in other news say hello to the cute twitter bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment